Air source heat pump or geothermal, which is better? Find out about the characteristics of both technologies and which is the most suitable according to your needs. At Climanova we can advise you and help you with the installation of aerothermal energy.
Are you building or rehabilitating a house and the time has come to choose the heating or air conditioning system? If you are in this situation, this is the place for you. In this article, we explain what each system consists of: which one do you think is better: Air source heat pump or geothermal?
Energy sources such as Air source heat pump or geothermal energy are becoming increasingly attractive. Nature offers us numerous economic and ecological opportunities to produce clean energy. The principle of operation of both systems is based on the heat pump.
If you search on the Internet or ask someone, they will probably recommend a heat pump system, but as you search for information, you become more and more doubtful. Some tell you that geothermal is the best option, while others say that aerothermal is more cost-effective in your case.
Now you are in doubt whether to choose geothermal or air source heat pump energy for your home. This is a very frequent situation that our customers ask us.
Therefore, below we will explain what each system consists of and what the differences are between a geothermal and aerothermal heat pump system, as well as the factors that you should take into account to make the best choice.
At Climanova we have a team of specialists ready to advise you and solve all your doubts. Contact us without obligation!
What is air source heat pump energy?
It is one of the most efficient systems for heating, cooling and hot water production in a house or commercial premises.
Air source heat pump energy is a renewable energy source that harnesses the heat energy of the air around us, to transfer it to an inverter system that can produce cold or heat that is distributed through ceiling, wall or underfloor heating systems, for example, a system that works very well with this technology.
Aerothermal energy is a renewable energy source that harnesses the heat energy of the air around us, to transfer it to an inverter system that can produce cold or heat that is distributed through ceiling, wall or underfloor heating systems, for example, a system that works very well with this technology.
The equipment that air source heat pump systems use to operate are heat pumps. How does air source heat pump energy work?
What is geothermal energy?
Geothermal energy uses the constant temperature of the ground to heat buildings and houses. Using heat pumps and a heat exchanger, the temperature of the ground is transferred to the house.
In winter, the pump absorbs the heat from the ground and releases it into the house. In summer, the opposite process takes place: it absorbs heat from the building and transfers it to the ground.
Advantages of aerothermal energy and geothermal energy
These are some of the common advantages of both air source heat pump and geothermal systems:
- Both provide cooling, heating and DHW in a single unit.
- Quick, simple and safe to install.
- Possibility of combining with other renewable systems, especially photovoltaic.
- Reliable and long-lasting equipment.
- High savings, between 30% and 80% compared to other traditional systems.
- There are subsidies and bonuses for this type of equipment, which means a saving of money in the installation of the same.
- They do not require periodic preventive maintenance and the costs are very low.
Differences between aerothermal energy and geothermal energy
Both are based on the same operating principle: the heat pump. However, they also have a number of differences between them:
- The main difference is that the aerothermal heat pump extracts energy from the environment, so its performance depends on the weather conditions outside at any given time. Geothermal, on the other hand, extracts energy from underground, where the temperature is much more stable. This is why the performance of geothermal energy is much better than that of aerothermal energy.
- The initial investment of the air source heat pump system is cheaper than geothermal energy.
- The installation of the aerothermal system is faster than the geothermal system.
- Geothermal heat pumps have a much longer durability and their performance is better.
Ventajas de la aerotermia frente a la geotermia
The advantages of an aerothermal heat pump compared to a ground source heat pump are listed below:
- It requires less investment. The geothermal installation requires a much higher initial investment than the aerothermal one.
- It is not necessary to have land on which to collect the energy.
- Faster installation, as it does not require drilling.
Air source heat pump or geothermal, which is better?
If after knowing the characteristics of each system you are still not sure which is the best option for your case, Climanova will advise you on which would be the best option for your case, carrying out an energy study and assessing your needs.
Air source heat pump with Climanova in Marbella and Estepona
Before carrying out any installation, we recommend getting information about the best solution from professionals. At Climanova we have been installing air conditioning, heating, solar energy and air source heat pump equipment for more than 15 years.
Do not hesitate to contact us, we will help you choose the best heating and/or air conditioning system for your home or workplace!