The heat pump is a very efficient but somewhat unknown system that provides heating, cooling and hot water. If you are thinking of installing it in your home or business, here we explain the types of heat pumps that exist.
If you have any doubts or need advice, at Climanova we can advise you on the different types of heat pumps and which one is most suitable for your needs. Contact us to answer any questions you may have.
What is a heat pump and what does it consist of?
The heat pump is an efficient and renewable technology that takes advantage of the energy that nature gives us to produce heat, cold or even hot water for our home or business.
The heat pump is a system that manages to generate the perfect temperature and produces hot water in a simple, economical and environmentally friendly way, transferring heat instead of generating it.
In winter, it transfers the natural heat from the air, water or earth to the inside of the home, creating a warm and cosy atmosphere. In summer, on the other hand, it cools the house by transferring the heat from the inside to the outside, creating a cool and pleasant atmosphere.
The great advantage that this system has over others is its capacity to take advantage of the existing energy in the environment to achieve air conditioning in any room while consuming very little energy.
Who benefits from heat pumps? Some of the benefits
There are a number of advantages provided by this type of cooling and heating system that benefit in three different areas:
- People. Provides heating, cooling or hot water all year round.
- The pocket. Great savings on electricity bills thanks to the use of natural energy from renewable and free sources.
- The planet. Highly sustainable and efficient technology that manages to multiply the performance of the equipment and reduce indirect CO2 emissions thanks to the use of energy from renewable sources.
For all these reasons, the heat pump is an ideal option for obtaining the heat, cold or hot water that homes, offices, businesses, etc. need to enjoy the perfect temperature.
Types of heat pumps
Depending on where the energy is captured, we can differentiate between 4 types of heat pumps: air-to-air, ground-to-water, air-to-water and water-to-water. The best known are aerothermal (air-to-water) and traditional air conditioning, although geothermal and hydronic heat pumps also provide high efficiency.
- Air-to-air. It is a fairly simple system as it uses heat directly from the air that will be transferred directly to the air in the room or premises to be heated or cooled.
- Water-water. The heat is taken in this system from a water circuit that is in contact with an element that is responsible for providing heat (water table, earth) and is transferred to another circuit.
- Geothermal heat pump (ground-water). This type of heat pump obtains energy from the ground through a heat transfer fluid, i.e. it absorbs heat from the ground and transmits it to the pump’s cooling circuit.
- Air-to-water heat pump. In this type of system, heat is taken directly from the air and then transferred to a water circuit that is used to supply a radiant/cooling floor or ceiling, radiators, fan coils or fan heaters, or to heat swimming pool water.
Benefits of the heat pump: why choose this system?
These are some of the benefits of this type of heating and cooling system for your home or office:
- High efficiency, with very little electrical energy they produce a large amount of energy.
- Continuous use, i.e. they work all the time providing stable temperatures at any time of the year.
- Savings, by consuming little electricity and not requiring maintenance, we save a lot of money in the long term.
- Amortization, it is a matter of time, as the months go by you will see the money you save.
- Renewable, air source heat pumps are considered renewable energy.
- Ecological, they are very environmentally friendly, particularly air source heat pumps.
- Combinable, for example, photovoltaic panels or a wind turbine can power an aerothermal system.
- Easy to install, but must always be carried out by approved professionals.
- Easy maintenance, as they require practically no maintenance.
If you would like to know more about the benefits of this system and how it can be adjusted to your needs, contact us and we will inform you without obligation.
Heat pump applications
Heat pumps have different applications depending on where they are going to be used: homes, commercial premises, hotels, etc. This type of system can also be applied in industrial environments.
Heat pumps are mainly used in the air conditioning of homes and buildings, although they are also frequently used to heat swimming pool water or in laundry or cleaning companies.
Depending on the air conditioning needs, one type of heat pump will be chosen.
Climanova, air conditioning experts in Marbella and Estepona
After knowing the different types of heat pumps that exist and the advantages of this system, you will ask yourself: do I need this type of air conditioning system for my house? and what is the real cost? how long will it take to pay it off?
At Climanova we have more than 15 years of experience in the installation of air conditioning, heating, solar energy and air source heat pump systems in Marbella and Estepona. Contact us through the following form and we will inform you without obligation of the best solution for your home.